An electrical fire in the basement of a Matawan home generated a large response from local fire departments.
According to Matawan Borough Fire Department Chief Carl Bommer, Washington Engine Company and Midway Hook & Ladder responded to a fire at a duplex on Fountain Avenue shortly after midnight on Thursday, Feb. 16.
Firefighters detected smoke in the unoccupied portion of the building and called for mutual aid from Aberdeen Hose and Chemical District No. 1 for extra manpower and from the Keyport and Union Beach fire departments for the R.I.T. (Rapid Intervention Team), a safety precaution used in case a firefighter is injured inside the building.
An electrical fire was found in the basement on the furnace, which caused smokey conditions in both portions of the duplex, Bommer said.
The Matawan Borough Police Department also responded and turned off the power running to the home, Lt. Ben Smith said.
The fire was located and extinguished by 1:30 a.m., Bommer said.
A family of four living at the residence were assessed on the scene by Matawan First Aid and refused further medical attention. The family stayed with friends for the night because the house no longer had heat, Smith said.