Monday, April 22, 2013
Broadway was filled with firetrucks and ambulances staging for a fire on Provost Avenue.
A portion of Broadway in Keyport was closed Monday afternoon as firefighters from multiple Bayshore towns worked to put out a fire in a home on Provost Avenue. According to emergency personnel, the fire was reported around 1 p.m. Firefighters on the scene were able to contain it to a small portion of the home and the fire was put out shortly before 1:30 p.m. According to Police Chief George Casaletto, preliminary investigation shows the fire likely began in the area of the chimney. No injuries were reported. The roadway was reopened around 2 p.m. The Keyport First Aid Squad and firefighters from Aberdeen, Matawan and Union Beach were also called to the scene.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
In the early morning hours on Tuesday, firefighters from several Bayshore communities worked to bring the flames under control.
A fire blazed through two attached homes on Broad Street in Keyport in the early morning hours on Tuesday, according to Police Chief Butch Casaletto. The police dispatcher received a report of a fire just before 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 18 and responding officers Sgt. Steven Dixon, Ptl. Robert McCartin and Ptl. Gregory Johnson found that the fire had spread from 138 Broad Street to the adjoining home at 140 Broad Street. The Keyport Borough Fire Department responded to the scene and began battling the blaze, requesting assistance from the Matawan Borough Fire Department, Aberdeen Township Fire Department, Hazlet Township Fire Company #1, North Centerville Fire Company, and Union Beach Fire Department. The Keyport First Aid Squad also responded …
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
The Matawan Borough Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire in an apartment Tuesday morning.
A kitchen fire was quickly brought under control in a Sutton Drive apartment Tuesday morning. The 911 call came in slightly after 8 a.m.. Matawan Ptl. Chris Stark arrived on the scene and entered the apartment in the "O" building, finding that the apartment was empty except for a Shih Tzu, Lt. Ben Smith said. Stark brough the Shih Tzu outside as the Matawan Borough Fire Deparment entered the apartment. A fire was found in the kitchen, where a stove burner with a pot on it was left on, Smith said. The fire had begun to spread to the walls, but was brought under control by the fire department by 8:45 a.m. No one was displaced by the fire. The Keyport Fire Department and the Aberdeen Fire Department also responded to the scene.
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
The heat from the flames also melted the home's siding and charred the pool deck.
Donna McCarthy was all set to bring her four children and one of their friends to Lakewood Wednesday morning. Everyone was in the car and before she left, she happened to glance toward her two sheds in the back yard. "I don't know what possessed me to look over but I did and I saw smoke," McCarthy said. She and her oldest son, Bobby, jumped out of the car and ran toward the shed. "We ran halfway through the driveway and it was already up in flames. It was fast," she said, looking off toward the many firefighters and investigators sifting through the ashes left behind. The McCarthy family had two sheds in their backyard, a taller one for storage and tools and a shorter one for everyone's bicycles. The fire reached high temperatures, …
Friday, July 6, 2012
The annual Fireman's Fair in Keyport begins on July 9.
This Keyport Fire Department's longstanding annual Fireman's Fair will start next week, beginning at 6 p.m. on Monday, July 9 on the waterfront off West Front Street in Keyport. The fair will feature various local food vendors, music, games and rides, and will run until Saturday, July 14. For its 46th year anniversary, this year's fair has a variety of features and events. Live bands will perform every night, culminating with the Southern Steel Band, a southern rock tribute band, on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. Saturday will also have a pancake-eating contest (sponsored by the nearby Keyport IHOP), a 50/50 raffle and a fireworks display over Keyport Harbor at night. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are also Kiddie Night, where all rides are one …
Monday, June 11, 2012
The early morning fire was contained to the basement, emergency personnel say
A small house fire at 93 County Road in Aberdeen Township was quickly brought under control Monday morning. According to Aberdeen Fire Chief Joe Raymond, a 911 call came in at about 6:25 a.m.. Aberdeen Township police officers arrived on the scene first and reported heavy smoke coming from the ranch-style home, Raymond said. Firefighters were able to locate "a small pocket of fire" in the basement and put it out, Raymond said. By 7:15 a.m., firefighters were repacking houses while fire officials began investigating the cause of the fire. A family was home when the fire started, Raymond said, and they were able to safely evacuate the house and call for help. No one was injured during the fire. Aberdeen Fire District No. 1, Cliffwood …