Independence Day is a federal holiday dedicated to celebrating the day the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Therefore, all non-essential federal, state and local government offices are closed today. This includes the , local post offices, government buildings and most banks. Emergency services, however, are available.
Looking for something to do? Here's some places that are open today:
- Supermarkets: Aberdeen's ShopRite, Stop & Shop (both Aberdeen and Keyport) and the A&P in Cliffwood are all operating on regular hours.
- Parks: Cheesequake State Park is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nearby Holmdel Park is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., complete with an "Independence Day Celebration" from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Longstreet Farm.
- Restaurants: Nearly all restaurants in the area are open. Most liquor stores are also open (unsurprisingly).
- Movie Theaters: Strathmore Clearview Cinemas is open, with showtimes ranging from 11:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. Rave Cinemas in Hazlet is also open, as is AMC Loews in Freehold.
- Retail: Most retail locations are open but close earlier than usual. Nevertheless, there are some great Fourth of July and summer sales, especially at shopping malls. Freehold Raceway Mall and Woodbridge Center Mall are both open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.