The top-ranking Assembly Democrat heading up the investigation in the Fort Lee lane closures dogging the Christie administration has referred contempt charges against a former top Port Authority executive to the county prosecutor.
John Wisniewski, D-Middlesex, said on Monday that he has referred contempt charges against former Port Authority employee David Wildstein to the Mercer County prosecutor’s office. Wildstein appeared before the Assembly transportation committee last week but refused to answer any questions in the committee’s investigation into the sudden closure of lanes to the George Washington bridge in September.
Wisniewski sent a letter to Joseph Bocchini Jr., Mercer county prosecutor, along with a transcript of Thursday’s meeting and a copy of the state statute which says refusal to answer question is a misdemeanor.
“The committee unanimously believes that Mr. Wildstein’s obfuscation of our investigation rises to the level of contempt under existing state statutes,” Wisniewski said in a release. “I’m hopeful that the Mercer County prosecutor will see it fit to take up this matter in an effort to aid our quest to protect taxpayer resources from further abuse."
Wildstein’s attorney, Alan Zegas, has previously said he would fight the charge, could not be immediately reached for comment.