Small Kitchen Fire in Sutton Drive Apartment Quickly Contained

The Matawan Borough Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire in an apartment Tuesday morning.

A kitchen fire was quickly brought under control in a Sutton Drive apartment Tuesday morning.

The 911 call came in slightly after 8 a.m.. Matawan Ptl. Chris Stark arrived on the scene and entered the apartment in the "O" building, finding that the apartment was empty except for a Shih Tzu, Lt. Ben Smith said.

Stark brough the Shih Tzu outside as the Matawan Borough Fire Deparment entered the apartment. A fire was found in the kitchen, where a stove burner with a pot on it was left on, Smith said. The fire had begun to spread to the walls, but was brought under control by the fire department by 8:45 a.m.

No one was displaced by the fire.

The Keyport Fire Department and the Aberdeen Fire Department also responded to the scene.

JosephGhabourLaw September 18, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Those appear to be older apartments, which commonly lack more modern fire suppression and warning systems. A big thank you to the Matawan FD for saving the day!
Tiffany Martin September 19, 2012 at 05:39 PM
I'm glad this one got taken care of quickly by the fire department. I wanted to recommend a product called Auto-Out. It magnetizes under your rangehood and puts out a grease fire when flame activated without any need for human intervention. You can find them on Amazon.com for about $55.
Paul M September 19, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Left the apt with a burner on? Careless. Or was the dog doing the cooking?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »