.

Police: Matawan Woman Drove into Oncoming Traffic After Hitting Stop Sign

Aberdeen police say the woman was driving while intoxicated during the incident Sunday night.

A Matawan woman is facing several charges after she allegedly left the scene of one accident on Cliffwood Avenue in Aberdeen before being involved in a second one on Sunday, according to a press release issued by the Aberdeen Township Police Department.

Police say Maria Vitale, 78, of Haven Drive was driving her 2000 Toyota while intoxicated at about 9 p.m. when she allegedly struck a stop sign on Cliffwood Avenue and then continued driving across Route 35. She then allegedly crossed over into oncoming traffic near Rose Street and collided with a 1992 Accura operated by a Perth Amboy resident. 

Vitale was taken to Bayshore Community Hospital for treatment of facial injuries, according to Chief John Powers. The driver of the Acura did not report any injuries.

She is charged with driving while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an accident, failure tomaintain lane, uninsured motorist, failure to exhibit documents and reckless driving.

P.O. Craig Hausmann investigated with assistance from P.O.Anthony Marone.

Danielle Rios April 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Wow. An 80 year old man did this on the parkway & unfortunately died. Obviously this woman was intoxicated & just careless. However, its time senior citizens be retested after a certain age. Maybe 70 years old? I know there are some elderly who can probably run circles around most young adults, though most cannot. I have a neighbor who's in his 70s/80s & he can hardly walk. Yet every day he drives off in his Mercedes Benz. I cannot understand how this happens.
Bernie April 23, 2013 at 01:00 PM
I think all drivers between the ages 18 to 50 should be required to be tested every year , on a obstacle course, with a cell phone in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other hand??!! Then the roads would become safer. Just look at the police reports, most divers "fined" are between these ages.
Shelley Stack April 23, 2013 at 02:49 PM
People of all ages have and cause accidents. Everyone should be required to to retested at reasonable intervals. We have cell phone laws, or so I thought, but I see people talking on them while turning several times a week. I wish the laws could be enforced but they seem to be useless. I'll be waiting at the light on Mill Road and 79 and I hold my breath while women turn left from 79 on to Mill with the cell at their head. And many of them have tiny kids in car seats in the back. Look up the percentage of senior drivers who cause accidents....it is 21%...so who are the other 79%. Test everyone. Put more traffic cameras in place. Catch the cell phone talkers/drivers. Collect revenue by issuing more tickets.
Ali April 23, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Agreed!
Cece April 23, 2013 at 07:10 PM
The woman was drunk!
Hugh Curtis April 28, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Maybe, we should all re-read the DMV handbook, to properly maintain our PRIVILEDGE to drive. It is not a RIGHT. Start with STOPPING at a stop sign. Next, review the Right on red law. STOP, Yield to all oncoming traffic, THEN, Proceed With Caution. The law dosen't read..."If I gun it, I can make it"

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something