.
News Alert
UPDATE: Massive Brush Fire Rages In Berkeley,…

Dryer Fire in Downtown Matawan Laundromat Draws Large Response

The fire started in a local business Wednesday night

Several fire companies were called to respond to a dryer fire at Hamper Laundromat at 145 Main Street in downtown Matawan Wednesday night. The laundromat is located at the corner of Ravine Drive.

Nobody was injured in the blaze, but some sweat-soaked firefighters were seated on EMS stretchers after being in the smoke-filled brick building.

The fire was out and the situation under control around 9:30 p.m, said Matawan Fire Company's Donald Mason, at the scene. The building's owner was called, said Mason, but he did not know if he was at the scene.

Because the fire went to "second alarm," five neighborhing companies were called in, said Mason. Main Street was packed with fire trucks and members from Matawan, Cheesequake, Aberdeen, Laurence Harbor, Keyport, Morganville, Marlboro, and Union Beach, as well as the Monmouth County Fire Marshalls Office.

Dozens of onlookers watched the excitement from the sidewalk on Main Street, in the warm evening night.

Herky September 29, 2011 at 04:17 AM
Great pictures and reporting , Thanks Patch, for up to date happenings.
jmatawan September 29, 2011 at 02:37 PM
The owners are the nicest people. I hope they are ok.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something