What: Second annual guided walking tours of the Rose Hill Cemetery in Matawan including exciting new stories. Read about last year's tour here.
When: Saturday, October 20 at 10 A.M. and
Rain date: Sunday October 28 at 2:00 PM
Tours last about two hours.
Cost: $10 per adult.
All proceeds go toward painting Burrowes Mansion & Rose Hill Cemetery beautification.
By whom: Local historian Al Savolaine of the Matawan Historical Society and the Rose Hill Board
Where: Matawan’s Rose Hill Cemetery, Ravine Drive, near intersection of Ravine and Middlesex Road
Why: Fascinating stories about deceased Matawan and Aberdeen residents, such as:
- 1916 shark attack victims Lester Stillwell and Stanley Fisher, and Capt. Thomas Cottrell
- The GREAT Matawan fire of 1901 and the ugly repercussions on the suspected arsonist
- Unusual ghost sightings at Rose Hill, considered the most haunted cemetery in New Jersey
- Funeral attended by two US presidents--who and why?
- Pirate Captain Kidd’s use of Rose Hill
- Civil War casualties, 1918 Spanish flu victims, unnerving freak accidents, 1896 gruesome murder
See photos from last year's tour here.