Garbage Truck Accident Causes Minor Electrical Fire in Matawan
The accident caused a power surge, police say
A garbage truck was driving behind Colonial Shops in Matawan when he struck a utility pole Wednesday afternoon and caused a small electrical fire, according to police.
Lt. Ben Smith said that the driver, identified as Thomas Cregg, of Old Bridge, told police he did not see the pole while driving out from behind the strip mall located at the intersection of Broad Street and Route 79.
He struck the pole head on, causing it to snap and collapse on itself. The damage to the pole created a power surge that traveled through the wires and shorted out an electrical meter box located behind Angelo's Pizza. The surge caused a small fire in the back of the building.
Witnesses on the scene told police they saw sparks flying from the meter box.
The fire was contained and the building sustained minimal damage, according to Smith.
Matawan's Midway Hose Company, Aberdeen Hose & Chemical District #1 and Hazlet's North Centerville Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 all responded to the scene. North Cernterville's ladder truck was used to gain access to the roof of the shopping center.
Matawan Patrolman Chris Stark was the investigating officer.